OSHCstudents-You’re probably here because you noticed there’s something called OSHC/OVHC waiting period and like many others who are buying OSHC/OVHC policy for the first time, you aren’t sure what it means. Read on for everything you need to know more about OSHC & OVHC waiting periods.
- Things you should know about waiting periods
- Understand OSHC policies including pregnancy-related services
What are waiting periods?
A waiting period is the time you need to wait after purchasing your policy and before the cover is available for certain medical conditions. You cannot claim for medical treatment that is provided during the waiting period. This means that you will need to pay for all expenses for the treatment.
Certain medical conditions and treatments have different waiting periods. Carefully review your policy to ensure you are aware of the different waiting periods.
Waiting periods for students OSHC
- The waiting periods for the psychiatric condition will differ depending on which OSHC insurer you have purchased. For the psychiatric condition, Allianz and Medibank OSHC apply no waiting period while Bupa, AHM, and nib OSHC apply 2 months waiting period.
- 12-month waiting period for all pregnancy-related conditions
- 12-month waiting period for all other pre-existing medical conditions
Waiting periods for workers and visitors OVHC
- 2 months for pre-existing psychiatric-related medical conditions.
- 12 months for pregnancy-related medical services.
- 12 months for all other pre-existing medical conditions.
Please also note that the start date of your policy must be a minimum of two days from the date of purchase, which means that you cannot claim for any treatment provided within 2 days of the date you purchase your OVHC visitors policy.
Waiting periods do not apply to emergency treatment by an approved ambulance service.
Waiting periods will however be applied to any subsequent hospital or medical costs.
When do waiting periods start?
Your waiting period will start from either:
- the date you or your dependant (as the case may be) arrived in Australia; or
- the date your visa was granted; or
- (for OVHC only) the date your policy commenced,
whichever is the later date.
You are international students or foreigners arrive to Australia, or Australian citizens traveling abroad who are looking for OSHC, OVHC, travel insurance, please contact OSHCstudents Team at email: email@example.com and our partners for further information and assistance.
OSHCstudents (Sources: Allianzcare)