banner image
25 | 07 | 22
07 | 22

What should I do when I feel sick?

OSHCstudents – Feeling unwell? Find out where to go, who to call, and what your options are when you or your family are sick.

It’s easy to take our health for granted, which means that if we get sick or become injured, it can be confusing to know where to go and who to call.

If you, or someone around you, needs medical help, the first thing to do is assess whether it’s an emergency.

How do I know if it’s an emergency?

An emergency is generally considered as an unplanned event where you need medical treatment immediately.

Examples of medical situations that could require emergency treatment include:

  • Chest pain or tightness
  • Sudden weakness, numbness or any sort of paralysis
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Breathing difficulties
  • Suddenly collapsing or unexplained seizures
  • Infants with ongoing fever
  • Severe burns
  • Uncontrollable bleeding
  • Injury from a major accident

If you have an emergency, please call 000 immediately.

What situations are less-urgent?

While it’s easy to panic when it comes to our health, there are some health issues that aren’t considered an emergency.

Some examples include:

  • Common colds, flu, infections and viruses
  • General checkups
  • Referrals to other specialists if required

Your general practitioner (GP) is the best person to see if you get sick and it’s not an emergency.

What do I do if I’m not sure?

If you’re not sure, it’s better to treat it as an emergency. If you need more advice about your health issue, you could also:

  • See a GP
  • Visit www.healthdirect.gov.au
  • Call the Australian Government’s health advice line on 1800 022 222
  • Contact Nurse-On-Call (Victoria only)

If it’s a mental health issue, you can also call LifeLine on 13 11 14.

You are international students or foreigners arrive to Australia, or Australian citizens traveling abroad who are looking for OSHC, OVHC, travel insurance, please contact OSHCstudents Team at email: info@oshcstudents.com and our partners for further information and assistance.

OSHCstudents (source: Bupa)

News related

Baek Ah Yeon

I trust Allianz Care since it is one of the largest insurance companies in Australia, with the medical centres where I only have to pay for what is left from insurance support. (no need to claim later). Besides, those centres are located at the centre of the city, close to schools. Very convenient, right? Credits to Allianz Care for providing reliable medical centres for health check and treatments.

Baek Ah Yeon | University of Queensland

Ariella Pei

I’ve been living with homestay family for 2 years. I’m now 19, I can move out but I don’t want to leave my host, who has become my family. It feels like I’ve met my second family. Thanks OSHCstudents for sending me to this homestay!

Ariella Pei | University of Canberra

Chatchawat Paton

I realised how important insurance was when I started living in Australia. There I switched to using Allianz Care instead of the previous service. Allianz Care is extraordinarily good in its consulting service and customer care. I’ve learned a lot about Australian health care, also I was consulted with mental issues and how to live a healthy lifestyle. I am very happy now.

Chatchawat Paton | Torrent University

Xiaoyu Cheng

Thanks to Allianz Care, every time I claimed my medical receipts it processed much more quickly and easily than I expected. I was initially a bit concerned since Allianz Care is more expensive than other insurance companies, but now I can ensure that it is totally worth the money.

Xiaoyu Cheng | Monash University

OSHCstudents Services


  • PTE Platform
  • Inus
  • Flywire
  • Imagine Education Australia
  • Shorelight
  • Opera City English College


  • King Education
  • North Sydney College English
  • NIB
  • HCC
  • Global Experience
  • Bupa
  • Vodafone
  • OVHC Iman
  • Allianz
  • Medibank
  • AHM