OSHC Students – Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is insurance to help international students with the cost of medical and hospital care in Australia.
Hospital and other medical treatments in Australia can be very expensive for international students. This is because international students are not covered under the Australian Government’s ‘Medicare’ public health insurance system.
1.How long do I need to be covered?
Duration of Course: 10 months or less ▶Add to your course end date 1 month
Duration of Course: Over 10 months ending January – October ▶Add to your course end date 2 months
Duration of Course Over: 10 months ending November – December ▶Add to your course end date: Select 15th March of the next year
2.What do I do if I need medical treatment?
The best option is to visit a doctor or go to the emergency department of a public hospital. Many educational institutions have a doctor on campus or nearby. OSHC providers often have direct billing relationships with medical clinics to ensure students can access treatment with no or minimal up-front expenses.
The doctor will refer you to a specialist or hospital if further treatment is required. You can choose either a public or a private hospital, but you should contact your OSHC provider before going to a private hospital to check that you will be covered for treatment at that hospital.
You should also contact your OSHC provider before going to a public hospital in a non-emergency situation or for an elective procedure to ensure that you are covered. In an emergency, you should go immediately to the emergency department of the nearest hospital, calling an ambulance on ‘000’ if appropriate.
3.How do I submit a claim?
There are 3 ways to make a claim:
1) Swipe your OSHC or private health care card at the GP’s office or medical centre; or
2) Visit your OSHC or private health care provider; or
3) Go online and download a claim form.
4.Can I get a refund of OSHC premium?
OSHC provider will refund all or part of your premium if:
- you paid for OSHC but did not come to Australia to take up studies;
- you have paid your premiums for an extended stay, but your student visa was not extended;
- you have to cease studies and leave Australia before the end of a period of approved stay, for reasons beyond your control;
- you have been granted permanent resident status in Australia;
- you have decided to defer your study and return home;
- you have completed your study earlier than expected; or
- you can prove you had OSHC from another organisation
Please keep in mind that refunds are calculated on a monthly pro rata basis, with a minimum refund of 1 month.
5.How do I renew my OSHC?
Your OSHC policy is scheduled until the OSHC end date indicated on your original Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). Your OSHC policy will remain active until this date. If you extend the length of your Student visa, you must renew your OSHC policy.
To extend your OSHC policy? Contact OSHCstudents to renew your OSHC policy.
All you need to do is email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +61 2 8123 0900 for advice, live chat with us on OSHCstudents Fanpage to assist you with any of your OSHC enquiries.