banner image
23 | 05 | 22
05 | 22

RDA FSC is now accepting OFFSHORE applications for subclass 491

OSHCglobal – RDA FSC is now accepting OFFSHORE applications for subclass 491. You must have an ROI to apply. 


Skilled Work Regional Visa (subclass 491)

The Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) allows skilled migrants to live, study and work in designated regional areas for a period of 5 years. 

NSW nomination is by invitation only. To be considered for NSW nomination, you must register your interest on the NSW Government website. NSW will use the information you provide when you register your interest to decide whether you will be selected to apply.


Registering your interest in NSW nomination is not an application. 

For information about NSW nomination criteria, see the NSW Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491) website.

To register your interest in NSW nomination, please visit the NSW How to register your interest in NSW nomination website and read all the information prior to completing the online form. Also, please read the NSW Common questions about skilled visas website for further information about NSW nomination for skilled.

Please note that once you have submitted your application and received your ARN (Application Reference Number) we can longer provide a refund as processing will have begun.



This RDA will be accepting IRN submissions for this program from 1st September 2021 – any and all IRNs, email applications or submissions sent in BEFORE this date, will need to be resubmitted from 1st September 2021 to be considered.

Under this new arrangement, each RDA will be responsible for setting their own eligible skilled occupations for nomination (within DoHA and NSW Treasury guidelines) and accepting and assessing nomination applications.

Nomination Criteria for a 491 visa in NSW will remain consistent across all regions, however the application process, eligible skilled occupations, including any additional requirements for some occupations, will vary by region.

Please note that as a result of COVID-19 and significant reductions in Australia’s Migration Program Planning Levels, the chances of being nominated are currently low and you must meet the published nomination criteria to apply.

Please see below for information about applying for sponsorship from the Far South Coast region of NSW.

Step 1 – Check Eligibility Criteria

Before you apply with this RDA – you must have applied for an ROI with Investment New South Wales – you MUST include your ROI number in your application. 

First check both the NSW Government website and then the RDA website in the region you wish to apply to, to check if you are eligible to apply for nomination for a 491 Skilled Work Regional Visa through one of the following three streams:

Stream 1 – Living and working in regional NSW

Stream 2 – Recently completed study in regional NSW

Stream 3 – Skilled in an occupation required in regional NSW.

Full details on the eligibility criteria for the Far South Coast region are available on our Eligibility for Nomination Criteria page.

Step 2 – Check the Occupation List
Step 3 – Get to Know the Far South Coast Region
Step 4 – Register Your Interest for NSW nomination
Step 5 – Check skill availability and receive your Interim Reference Number (IRN)
Step 6 – Complete Your Application Form and Documentation
Step 7 – Make Payment for Your Application Assessment
Step 8 – Submit Your Application
Step 9 – Await the Outcome of Your Application

Nomination criteria

You must meet all the criteria in one of the three following streams to be eligible for NSW nomination:

  1. Living and working in regional NSW;
  2. recently completed study in regional NSW; or
  3. living and working outside of a designated regional postcode of NSW.

Applicants who do not meet the criteria in one of these three streams may be refused unless otherwise agreed with NSW Treasury.

‘Closely related occupations’ are defined as those having the same ANZSCO unit group, i.e. sharing the same first four digits.

‘Designated regional areas’ are determined by Home Affairs. Please see their website for a list of regional NSW postcodes.

  1. Living and working in regional NSW

To be eligible for NSW nomination under this stream you must:

  • hold a valid skills assessment for an occupation that appears on your nominated region’s occupation list;
  • have been living in a designated regional area in NSW for at least the previous 12 months; and
  • have been working in your nominated occupation, or a closely related occupation, in a designated regional area of NSW, for at least the previous 12 months.
  1. Recently completed study in regional NSW

To be eligible for NSW nomination under this stream you must:

  • hold a valid skills assessment for an occupation that appears on your nominated region’s occupation list;
  • have completed study or education with an education provider, where:
    • the study was completed within the previous 24 months;
    • the education provider is located in a designated regional area in NSW;
    • the study meets the Australian study requirement (as determined by Home Affairs from time to time); and
    • the qualification obtained from this study has been assessed as closely related to your nominated occupation by the relevant assessing authority; and
  • have lived in a designated regional area of NSW while completing your study.

3. I am skilled in an occupation required in Regional NSW


Note that payment for your application assessment fee does not guarantee a positive outcome for your application. You are paying for the assessment process, not the outcome. Processing begins as soon as we provide you with an ARN (Application Reference Number). Once processing has begun refunds are no longer available. There is no exception to this.

Alternative migration options

NSW nomination for the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491) is just one of a number of visa options for prospective skilled migrants. There are a range of visas offered by Home Affairs, including both temporary and permanent employer nominated visas.

You may also wish to seek advice from a registered migration agent. A list of registered migration agents is available on the Migration Agents Registration Authority website.


OSHCglobal (source: rdafsc australia)

News related

Baek Ah Yeon

I trust Allianz Care since it is one of the largest insurance companies in Australia, with the medical centres where I only have to pay for what is left from insurance support. (no need to claim later). Besides, those centres are located at the centre of the city, close to schools. Very convenient, right? Credits to Allianz Care for providing reliable medical centres for health check and treatments.

Baek Ah Yeon | University of Queensland

Ariella Pei

I’ve been living with homestay family for 2 years. I’m now 19, I can move out but I don’t want to leave my host, who has become my family. It feels like I’ve met my second family. Thanks OSHCstudents for sending me to this homestay!

Ariella Pei | University of Canberra

Chatchawat Paton

I realised how important insurance was when I started living in Australia. There I switched to using Allianz Care instead of the previous service. Allianz Care is extraordinarily good in its consulting service and customer care. I’ve learned a lot about Australian health care, also I was consulted with mental issues and how to live a healthy lifestyle. I am very happy now.

Chatchawat Paton | Torrent University

Xiaoyu Cheng

Thanks to Allianz Care, every time I claimed my medical receipts it processed much more quickly and easily than I expected. I was initially a bit concerned since Allianz Care is more expensive than other insurance companies, but now I can ensure that it is totally worth the money.

Xiaoyu Cheng | Monash University

OSHCstudents Services


  • PTE Platform
  • Inus
  • Flywire
  • Imagine Education Australia
  • Shorelight
  • Opera City English College


  • King Education
  • North Sydney College English
  • NIB
  • HCC
  • Global Experience
  • Bupa
  • Vodafone
  • OVHC Iman
  • Allianz
  • Medibank
  • AHM